A Mom’s Conversation with God
By Lysa TerKeurst

“The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.” Nahum 1:7 (NIV)

A few weeks ago, my daughter Ashley injured her shoulder while gearing up for her largest gymnastics meet of the season. She's had an amazing time with gymnastics over the past 10 years, winning several state titles and progressing to each next level with great excitement.

But this year has been an uphill battle.

Finally, at the end of the season things seemed to be clicking along like she'd planned. But with one slip off the bar and a pretty bad landing, her shoulder was injured. We soon realized that no amount of rehab could get her ready in time. So, with tears and great disappointment, she had to scratch from the meet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that I know in the great scheme of life, this is such a small thing. But in Ashley's world, this was big. Therefore, it led me to have one of those conversations with the Lord that I'm sure many moms have had at one time or another. If your child has ever had to walk through the yuck of disappointment, maybe you can relate.

The Mom: Lord, I have to tell you it is a hard thing for a mother to watch her child work so hard for something only to have her dreams dashed by an injury.

The Lord: Do the words of Job 17:11 express the way you are feeling? "My days have passed, my plans are shattered, and so are the desires of my heart."

The Mom: Lord, You could make her better. You could strengthen her shoulder and make her well enough to compete. Lord, don't You see her tears? If seeing her sadness breaks my heart, I know it must break Your heart, too. It is hard for me to understand when I know that You could fix this in an instant.

The Lord: Recall the beauty of trusting the only One who can see what is and what is to come. Remember my words in Nahum 1:7: "The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him."

The Mom: I do trust you Lord. But for all that work to end like this is so hard. It just seems so pointless.

The Lord: Oh, nothing I do is pointless. Nothing you go through is pointless. This lesson will work good for her now and it will work good for her in the future. You only think you know what is best for her. But I have such a grand plan and purpose in all this. Proverbs 19:20-21: "Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."

The Mom: I just need to know why she has to go through this.

The Lord: You don't have to have answers, Lysa. You just need to trust. Isaiah 55:8-9: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

The Mom: But what about the desires of her heart Lord?

The Lord: I am the only One who even knows the full scope of those desires, Lysa. Your job isn't to figure out how to make her desires come to pass. Your job is to simply teach her to trust Me and make wise choices. Psalm 37: 3-4: "Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart."

Dear Lord, once again as a mom I lift my child up to You. For You are the only One who can ultimately lift her up. I trust You and I pray that through all the ups and downs in life, she comes to trust You in a very personal way as well. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Visit Lysa TerKeurst’s blog for more everyday life encouragement today

P31 Woman magazine

The Bathtub is Overflowing but I Feel Drained – How to Defeat Mommy Stress by Lysa TerKeurst

Application Steps:
What disappointment has you or your child had to walk through lately? Write the above verses out on index cards to carry with you, and write the words “I believe” after each one.

Reflections:
Is the Lord good?

Does the Lord have your best interests and your loved one’s best interests in mind? Trust meets every circumstance with the assurance of God’s promises.

Power Verse:
Psalm 37:3-4, "Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." (NIV)

© 2008 by Lysa TerKeurst. All rights reserved.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This devo is such a treasure. Thank you, Lysa, for sharing this painful moment and your conversation with the Lord. It has been so helpful to me. Praise Him for being such a loving heavenly Father to us. I rejoice that we can have such a precious conversation with Him. I praise Him for His understanding and His plan.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. A couple of years ago my daughter didn't make cheerleading. It was tryouts for her Freshman year of High School. To the outside world she was a shoe in. She made it all through Jr. High, was one of the best on her squad and is an excellent gymnast. For whatever reason God had other plans. Oh the pain of watching your child face her first big disappointment. It's been 2 years, but I still remember like it was yesterday. She got out of the car with her father and they began walking up the sidewalk. Before she got to the door where the list was posted, 2 of her friends saw her coming. They were hugging each other as they had both made it, but when they saw her coming, they walked away quickly. No need to even read the list. She continued on anyway. Read the list and walked slowly back to the car with her dad. She was quiet when she got in the car and didn't say a word the whole way home. When we pulled into the driveway she finally said "poor Emily." Emily was a going to be a senior and had been a cheerleader all through High School, but this year she didn't make it. I couldn't believe my ears. It wasn't "poor me". It was "poor Emily". Then I cried. She got out of the car and went into the house and called the 2 girls (her friends that had made it and ran away when they saw her coming.) to congradulate them. Then I sobbed. In the face of her biggest dissapointment, God gave us a small glimpse of the woman this girl would one day become. I remember having my own conversations with God. How come this sweet girl didn't make it?? Why her?? Why not the mean girl who always wins everything, but makes fun of others?? God gave me the same answers that are listed in this devotion. She has made it every year since. She will be a Junior next year. We still don't know the "why", but God does. Thank you God for being in control and making the decissions that are best for us. Decissions we would never make on our own even if we could see the bigger picture.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits