You Want Me to Search My Sole?
Lysa TerKeurst

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.” Matthew 5:8 (NIV)

Sometimes when I make reference to the fact that God speaks to me, there are some people that don't quite know what to make of that statement. But, it is true. God's voice is a gentle rush through my soul or a thought that pops into my head in a way that I know it's not my own. Throughout the Bible, God spoke to His people. And I'm convinced He still does. This is the most exciting part of my adventures with God...hearing from Him, experiencing Him... everyday!

Recently I had the wonderful privilege to speak at a conference with Renee Swope. Renee and I went thinking we were going to be giving out to the ladies at the conference, but God wound up giving to us in special ways as well. During Renee’s talk, she spoke about Isaiah 61 as her life verse given to her by God over ten years ago. She referred to verse 3 several times that promises God will make His people into oaks of righteousness, a display of His splendor. She said God's promise to her despite all the yuck of her past was that one day He would use her to "display" His splendor.

Toward the end of her talk, God spoke something that seemed quite strange to me. I felt God tell me to take the sticker off the sole of my shoe. I flipped my shoe over thinking it must be a price sticker. Instead, what I found took my breath away! Tucked safely into the arch of the bottom of my shoe, was an orange sticker that read DISPLAY! Instantly, the Lord spoke to my heart again and instructed me to give the sticker to Renee when she finished speaking and tell her that her life verse had been fulfilled. Today, she had truly become a DISPLAY of His splendor. She was to place the sticker in her Bible beside the Isaiah 61 verses as a reminder of God's fulfilled promise in her life. The sticker even matched Renee's orange jacket she was wearing!

Some may be skeptical that God would speak to ordinary women. Some may think it silly that God would use a sticker on the bottom of a shoe to reveal Himself. But Renee and I are absolutely convinced... from the bottom of our soles and souls!

Dear Lord, Thank you for loving us in the exact personal ways we need. Lord, help us to hear when you speak to us. I pray each day I let my heart get quiet just long enough to sit and listen to your encouragement and instructions. Then give me courage Lord to obey you. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources

Lysa TerKeurst’s Blog

Do You Know Him?

What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst

Renee Swope’s Blog

Application Steps
If you don’t have a life verse, why not ask God to lead you to just the right one today? Some of you may be like me and have different life verses for different seasons you've walked through with God. So, identify the most meaningful verse at this point in your life. Right now, mine is Matthew 5:8, "Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God!"

Reflections
Have you heard God telling you to do something lately and you’ve been resistant to obey?

Write down what you feel Him telling you, and then find three Scripture verses that relate to what He’s asking of you.

Pray these Scriptures over this situation and get a friend to pray for your courage as well.

Power Verses
Isaiah 61:3, “They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.” (NIV)

Psalm 50:1, “The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to the place where it sets.” (NIV)

Psalm 81:5, “I hear this most gentle whisper from One I never guessed would speak to me:” (MSG)

Labels: , , , ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God lead to speak to ya'll and let you know you are touching my live. Ya'll are being used by Him in a mighty way. I do believe in God speak in strange ways, God does have a sense of humor. Don't you think? We just have to be willing to have open eyes and hearts. Thank you for listening to God and your ministry is a powerful one. God Bless ya'll.

Blogger Lelia Chealey said...

Beautiful!!!! I love that He matched the sticker to her outfit-He just knows us all too well doesn't He? He is such a detailed oriented God zoning into specifics only He could get right. I love your obedient heart-what you both would've missed out on if you would have not looked at the bottom of your shoe-WOW! My life verse would be Philippians 1:12 Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.
For the longest time I sat in a puddle of shame over my past & would not forgive myself let alone accept God's forgiveness. When you sit in shame you tend to repeat bad habits. Then I heard a teaching on letting my past being used for HIS glory. Changed my life. Accepted His grace & made it all about HIM. Much better to live in a rapid river of grace then a yucky puddle of shame that's for sure. If my past draws only one woman to Christ it was all worth it! Thanks for the great post Lysa!
Lelia Chealey
www.leliachealey.blogspot.com

Blogger Colly said...

I am so excited,as i do not have a life's bible verse, and I will be searching for one now!!! And, yes. I feel God is trying to talk to me again, He used to when I was a little girl, and I think I even felt as if I saw Him several times. I had to read this twice, as I am so eager to learn to obey His will, and I so beleive these woman's storey that even though I was so down and out over my life's situation this evening, I am now filled with a calmness I have't felt in such a very long long time!!! Thank you so much for these encouraging word's and for helping me on my life's journey of rediscovery to be a child loved by God.
Colly

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits