Do You Want to Be Well?
Melanie Chitwood

“When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, ‘Do you want to get well?’ John 5:6 (NIV)

A joke came to mind one day as I was wallowing in the symptoms of PMS. Taken from this joke, two of my favorite explanations of “PMS” are “Provide Me with Sweets” and “Pardon My Sobbing.”

I had spent the entire day complaining to some close friends about how tired I was of feeling awful from PMS. They are sweet friends, so they listened. As I remembered another meaning of PMS, “Pack My Bags,” I thought how it was probably a good thing my husband was out of town. I warned my two sons that I was on edge, and they knew from previous warnings exactly what that meant - stay far away from that scary woman, also known as their mom.

After doing all the things that would only exasperate my symptoms, such as eating chocolate chip cookies and drinking diet coke, I went to bed having a pity party. I opened up my Bible the next morning to a passage that seemed written just for me. In Matthew 9:20-22 I read, “Just then a woman who had hemorrhaged for twelve years slipped in from behind and lightly touched [Jesus’] robe. She was thinking to herself, ‘If I can just put a finger on his robe, I'll get well.’ Jesus turned—caught her at it. Then he reassured her: ‘Courage, daughter. You took a risk of faith, and now you're well.’ The woman was well from then on.” (The Message)

Here was a woman who had been sick for a long time. I can imagine she’d tried many other remedies, I imagine she’d shed many tears, and I imagine she’d had some moments of hopelessness. Finally, however, the Messiah had arrived, and she was filled with renewed hope. Her faith caused her to reach out to Jesus.

Here I was suffering from something relatively minor, and all I did was whine. I have ready access to the Savior every moment of my life simply because I’m His child, yet I had failed to turn to the only One who could make me better.

Sometimes I mistakenly think I need huge faith to pray that God will heal me. Notice, however, in Matthew 9 that these verses don’t say anything about great faith. Just enough faith. That’s all we need – just enough faith for the situation we’re in.

Sometimes we mistakenly think that if we’re fearful or doubting, that we then must not have enough faith to ask God for what we need. Not true. Again look at the verses in Matthew. The sick woman was probably fearful. After all, Jesus said to her “Courage daughter.” I can imagine that she had to muster all her courage to do such a little act, just touch the edge of Jesus’ cloak.

But it was enough. Jesus stopped for her. He noticed that little touch, even as He was on His way to another very important mission – He was going to heal a ruler’s daughter. He stopped for a woman who just touched His garment.

As I came to another verse that morning, today’s key verse in John 5:6, I was convicted by the question Jesus asked the sick man: “‘Do you want to get well?’” I sensed Jesus asking me the same question, Do you want to get well, or do you just want to whine and feel sorry for yourself?

I thanked the Holy Spirit for leading me to these verses, I confessed that I had sinned by not turning to Him, and I asked Jesus to relieve my PMS symptoms.

Dear Lord, I am desperate and broken. I need You alone to make me well. Thank You that I can ask anything and know that You hear with a heart of compassion. Make me well, Lord. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Related Resources:
What a Husband Needs from His Wife by Melanie Chitwood

What Happens When Women Walk in Faith by Lysa TerKeurst

Do you know Him?

Application Steps:
Make a promise to yourself and to God not to whine or complain. When you feel tempted, turn the complaint into a prayer for God’s help and healing.

Reflections:
Are you in a time in your life when you need healing, whether it’s emotional, spiritual or physical? Have you asked Jesus to heal you?

Power Verses:
Exodus 15:26, “…‘for I, the LORD, am your healer.’" (NAS)

Mark 2:17, “When Jesus heard this, he told them, ‘Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.’” (NLT)

Labels: , ,



6 Comments:

Blogger Sisterlisa said...

Thank you for this lesson today. Before I came to the site for my devotions I had prayed about a situation regarding the concept of 'venting to friends' and I had decided I would no longer do that. I recently had an experience with that and it seriously damaged the friendship. Jesus always wants us to come to him first, and many times ONLY to Him. Your lesson confirmed in me my decision. Thank you!!!

What a great reminder. Even in the "small things" He is there ready to touch us if only we'll allow Him to. He is so faithful! This is an area in my life where I know I need work as well. As women I think we sometimes forget to run to Him before running to our friends. If we think our friends care, He cares MUCH more!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it to the THRONE instead of the PHONE!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thought of the woman reaching out to Jesus with great courage just to touch His garment and that He was so sensitive to her touch when He had many other people around Him. Then the comparison with our situation today and our ready and easy access to Jesus our Healer impacted me greatly. How very blessed we are. I should never complain about anything ever. It is so great to be able to boldly enter His presence. Thank you , Lord.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for these daily devotions. When I can, I read them and they seem to know exactly what I need for that day. God bless you and your staff always.

10:50pm/ 10-02-07

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read today's scripture and took the opportunity to relate. There are health issues that I have dealt with for years and continue to do so. NEUROFIBROMATOSIS and Breast Cancer. There r too many times to count when I had to just lie there in the "knowing" of God's grace. During a Chemo session I was so sick and so down that I did not fell that I could pray. A dear friend said to me, I'll pray ! You breathe !! I just need to hear you breathe. It is ok to "go there", but let's not camp out ! God knows whee we r, even when we don't. Allow yourself to be carried, it's ok !!!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits