God’s Eyes
Melanie Chitwood

”For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.” 2 Chronicles 16:9 (NIV)

One of my favorite things to do is watch my twelve-year-old son Zachary play basketball. I’m his biggest fan. Even though he’s at an age when he’s easily embarrassed, I cheer as loudly as I can knowing my cheers encourage him. When I’m watching his game, I am completely focused on my son.

This is how God looks at each one of us. We, His children, are the focus of His attention. The Bible tells us in 2 Chronicles 16:9 exactly who God focuses on and why: “the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him.”

God’s focus is on “those whose hearts are fully committed to Him.” I can just imagine God’s eyes searching for the woman who would become the mother to his son Jesus. Then He sees Mary, nods His head and says, That’s the one. I can imagine God searching for the person to have faith to build the Ark even though he’s never seen a drop of rain. Then He sees Noah, nods His head, and says that’s the one. Imagine Him searching for the person who would persevere in the wilderness for forty years. He sees Moses, nods his head, and says that’s the one

What are your thoughts as you imagine God’s eyes resting on you? Sometimes I’ve been unsure and even afraid of God’s eyes resting on me. I look at my failures and think I don’t measure up, that I won’t be the one God’s looking for. I see so clearly the days when I’ve selfishly thought of my own needs, instead of my husband’s. I see the days when I’ve spoken harsh words to my children, instead of responding with patience. I remember times when I’ve judged or criticized other women.

We have to be careful not to make this mistake. We have to believe what is true, not the lies and accusations of the enemy. God is not looking for the woman who’s perfect or serves in the most ministries. He’s not looking for the woman who never misses a quiet time with Him or who never doubts.

God is looking for the woman who’s fully committed to Him, a woman like you or me, whose heart is saying yes to God. Yes, I’ll love my husband for You, Lord. Yes, I’ll turn off the TV to read a Bible story to my kids. Yes, I’ll call a friend to encourage her. And yes, when I fail to do what You want me to do, I’ll confess my sin, receive Your forgiveness, and press on in faith.

God is our greatest cheerleader, not our greatest critic. When His eyes light on His children, they are eyes of compassion and lovingkindness, not criticism or judgment.

The verses in Chronicles tell us why God looks for us: He wants to strengthen us. His attention on His children is like that of a parent cheering in the stands. God’s focus says, You can do it! I believe in you!

So how do we become a woman fully committed to Him? Not by pretending we have no fear, relying on our own strength, or by striving to be perfect. We sit at His feet and worship and adore Him, thanking Him for the blessings in our lives. We pour out our hearts in confession to the Lord, read His word and obey His commands.

Then our hearts will be knit with His, and we will be women fully committed to Him. When God’s eyes search the whole earth, they’ll stop on us, He’ll nod His head, and He’ll say, “They’re the ones."

Dear Lord, I want to be a woman fully committed to You. I pray that all my decisions and actions will lead me closer to You, Lord. Search me and know me, and if there’s anything keeping me from being fully committed to You, let me be willing to lay that down. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do you know Him?

What a Husband Needs from His Wife by Melanie Chitwood

What Happens When Women Walk in Faith by Lysa TerKeurst

Application Steps:
Take some time to be quiet with the Lord. Imagine His eyes of love resting on You. Let His love sink into you and take root.

Reflections:
What do God’s eyes of love strengthen and motivate you to be or do?

What attitudes or actions are preventing you from seeking the Lord wholeheartedly? Is anything drawing you away from God? Will you give that up?

Power Verses:
Ephesians 1:19, “Oh, the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him” (MSG)

Isaiah 26:8, “Lord, we show our trust in you by obeying your laws; our heart’s desire is to glorify your name.” (NLT)

Labels: , ,



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy did I need that one today! Sometimes it is just so easy to beat ourselves up and forget that we have the ultimate, perfect parent on our side. I subscribe to your devotions and can't begin to tell you how many times I open my e-mail and just get hit between the eyes on something the Lord wants me to hear. Thank you and God Bless you all!!!

Blogger Donna said...

This is awesome~!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just what I needed today. It is so easy to think that we have to be perfect to be used. That god doesn't see us, but he does and it is so refreshing to think of him cheering me on in my life each day. Wanting to see me successful, not waiting to jump on me when I fall and scold me.

Dear God,

Thank you that you love me whole heartedly. Thank you for this reminder that you want to cheer me on each step of the way. help me to listen to you and to be a woman that is fully committed to you in all ways. If there is anything that keeps me from committing to you fully I pray that you show it to me so it no longer will be part of my life. Forgive me for losing my temmper and the harsh words with my daughter. Help me to be more patient with my kids. Give me a filling of the patience you have with me each day when i mess up. Thank you that you can use me because I am committed to you and not based on the mistakes I make. Thank you for an amazing family and beautiful children. Help me to cherish them the way they deserve to be loved and how you love me. amen

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The eyes of god's love motivate me to more outgoing with other women instead of being so shy and distant. Fearful of being rejected. His eyes of love show me that he wants me to have strong christian women to talk to and be friends with. He is not watching because he knows I will fail or get hurt, but will be filled and happier.


My jaded heart from woundedness and past church history. God I pray that you give me clarity on the church that is best ofr our family. Help us to invest where you see fit, where our chilren can learn about you and love you with all they have and we as parents can be good examples of how to love and serve you.I lay odwn the past hurts of ministry and choose to follow you whole heartedly.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, by reading the other comments, everyone kept saying "I needed that today!" I have to say, I didn't want it today but I happened to stumble on this devotional and well, I needed that one today! I haven't been struggling with "measuring up" but I feel like I've been living in guilt and to hear that God focuses on me just blows my mind. Why would He want to do that? And His strength isn't so much helping me if I'm not fully commited to Him. I need to smack myself in the face and wake myself up! Stay commited and rev it up! I have a husband, children and tons of people I come in contact with that need God through me. I can't afford to get lazy. Thanks for the motivation.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI dear ladies, I've been on vacation and just came back to see that this devotion ran while I was gone. i have to just say that this is one of my favorite devotions - and yes I am freed up enough to say that about something I wrote myself! God ministered to me when I was struggling with the whole perfection thing and then led me to to these verses and thoughts. That's one of the blessings of writing - God ministers to me in my own written word.
I appreciate your honest comments and beautiful prayers. God loves you! Some days that's what I just have to repeat to myself over and over. And remind myself that I will find Him when I choose to seek Him. I've heard the saying that God never moves - we do.

Love in Him - melanie

Blogger Pat McKenzie said...

I thank God for confirmation. This article touched my heart. I had been one of those that kept saying, not me, you can't be talking to me God. I had done things and said things that were not pleasing in your sight. But, I am thankful for his grace, that He loves us with an undying love. I can now say "yes" to His will to use me as His instrument and answer His call. I had attended She Speaks Conference for the first time last month and I left feeling recharged. Thank you for your words of encouragement and may God bless each of you.

Always With Love
Pat

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits