A Sunny Perspective – Part Two
Lysa TerKeurst

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me- put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” Philippians 4:7-9 (NIV)

It sounds so dream-like to dress your little darlings in clothes that match, hear them say that you are the best mom in the world, bake cookies together in the afternoon, and relish their sweet spirits while listening to their bedtime prayers. But woven all around the ideal moments are whiney voices, childish attitudes, sibling fights, strong-wills, messy accidents, snotty noses, stained clothes, and strained nerves. It all comes down to choosing what to focus on, for those things will become what’s most magnified.

Re-read today’s key verse above. Let’s take a look at each section and bring it home in everyday motherhood terms:

Whatever is true: It is a blessing to be a mom. Many women have empty arms and would do anything to have children. There are hard days, but they won’t last forever and God will fill the gaps as we walk in obedience with Him.

Whatever is noble: A noble mom recognizes that children are taught most effectively by example. They may remember what you say momentarily, but they remember what they see for a lifetime.

Whatever is right: A Christian’s pursuit is to exemplify Christ-likeness. This involves making right choices that honor God. View each choice as one step toward your ultimate destination.

Whatever is pure: Matthew 5:8 says, “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.” If I want to see God in my home, I must seek to purify my heart. If I want to see God in my marriage, I must seek to purify my heart. If I want to see God in my children’s lives, I must seek to purify my heart. If I want to see God in my everyday life, I must seek to purify my heart.

Whatever is lovely: If someone were to ask me about being a mom, what is the look that would cross my face? Is my facial expression lovely? Am I smiling, or scowling? What would my kids say is my view of motherhood?

Whatever is admirable: The investment of time and energy you put into being a mom is admirable. The sacrifices you make are admirable. The love you have for your children is admirable. Nurturing, protecting, and caring for them is admirable. While the world may not esteem you, and while your kids may not rise up to call you blessed today, God notices, and He says you are admirable.

If anything is excellent or praiseworthy: The calling of being a mom is reason for great celebration and joyous praise to the Lord. You are participating in shaping a life for eternity. Even if you’ve struggled, choose to pursue excellence from this day forward. Praise God for second chances and mercies that are new every morning.

Dear Lord, thank You for the reminder that whatever I choose to focus on will be magnified in my sight. Help me to focus on You today, and the blessings You have placed in my life. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
The Bathtub is Overflowing but I Feel Drained
by Lysa TerKeurst

Listen to Today’s Radio Show

Application Steps:
Teach your children through your example of choosing to focus on what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely and admirable.

Reflections:
Are you being robbed of the joys of motherhood today because of what you are focusing on? I often find that even when my children anger me to no end, if I choose to focus on the lovely, the excellent and praiseworthy, and the pure things surrounding the situation, I frequently have the opportunity to make them into teachable moments. It then allows me to look back at the situation with no regrets.

Power Verses:
Psalm 4:6-7, “Many are asking, ‘Who can show us any good?’ Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound.” (NIV)

Psalm 119:15, “I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.” (NIV)

Romans 13:14, “Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.” (NIV)

Labels: ,



10 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

Thank you Lysa for taking that verse and applying it to a Mom's life. I will share this with other moms and keep a copy in my Bible to re-read every now and then. I praise Jesus for the way He is using you!

Blogger stace said...

I can't thank you enough for your devotion. I had just had a terrible moment with my son and was feeling awful and overwhelmed. I found this site while looking for a way to forget the moment. I had asked for forgiveness and now I feel hopeful instead of like the worst mother in the world.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am over all so happy to be a mom, but in hard days I can wonder what I am doing. I want to focus on is good what is magnifying of
god. I want o be a good example for them each day and I want ot see God in my home.

Dear God,
Thankyou for women that can speak into my life like this. I need to hear words of wisdom that you ahve for me. Forgive me for any harsh words spoken to my children. Forgive me for being judgemental and for any bad words I may have thought or said about others. Cleanse my heart and help me to see people through your eyes today. I want to see God in my home, I want it to have the fragrance of Christ. I want this home to be a family home, and I Ask you to help me to strive for purity of heart. Help me to be who I am and not try to be anyone else. let me walk with righteous confidence knowing I am yours and you are enthralled with me. I pray for my babies all their prayer list and promise to pray them specificaly tonight in the quiet. Be with Peter and give him wisdom at work today. I thank you fro reminding me about purity of heart. My heart needs to be free from judgement and full of love for my family and for others. Amen

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be a upright charitable being is to be enduring a amiable of openness to the world, an cleverness to trusteeship uncertain things beyond your own manage, that can govern you to be shattered in very exceptional circumstances for which you were not to blame. That says something very weighty relating to the get of the righteous autobiography: that it is based on a conviction in the up in the air and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a plant than like a prize, something fairly dainty, but whose extremely particular attractiveness is inseparable from that fragility.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be a noble benign being is to be enduring a make of openness to the mankind, an skill to group unsure things beyond your own restrain, that can lead you to be shattered in uncommonly exceptionally circumstances pro which you were not to blame. That says something remarkably weighty with the fettle of the honest compulsion: that it is based on a trust in the fitful and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a plant than like a treasure, something fairly fragile, but whose extremely precise attraction is inseparable from that fragility.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In harry's sustenance, at some occasion, our inner foment goes out. It is then break asunder into flame beside an be faced with with another magnanimous being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner transport

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In every tom's life, at some time, our inner pep goes out. It is then blow up into zeal at hand an contend with with another magnanimous being. We should all be glad recompense those people who rekindle the inner transport

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the whole world's existence, at some occasion, our inner pep goes out. It is then burst into zeal by an be faced with with another benign being. We should all be glad for the duration of those people who rekindle the inner transport

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the whole world's sustenance, at some time, our inner throw goes out. It is then bust into enthusiasm by an face with another benign being. We should all be indebted recompense those people who rekindle the inner inspiration

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits