Sometimes I Feel So Overlooked
Lysa TerKeurst

"After removing Saul, he made David their king. He testified concerning him: 'I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart, he will do everything I want him to do.'" Acts 13:22 (NIV)

I'm sorry. I try not to complain very often. I do know that I am incredibly blessed to have a grocery store down the street and a washer and dryer to use when doing laundry. But sometimes I wake up on Monday mornings a little grumpy. Time to do it all again. I'll go buy food that gets eaten. I'll wash clothes that get dirty again. I'll sweep floors that just an hour later will be littered with crumbs.

Is there more to all this than just doing the tasks of everyday life?

Before I jumped into the normal routine this morning, I sat with Jesus. And this is what I found... some big truths by taking a little glance at David's life. Despite how other's saw him, his own propensity to sin, and his lack of position in his own family, David had the sweet reassurance of God and that was enough.

Overlooked by everyone else. Handpicked by God.

To his older brothers, he was a pest. To his father Jesse, he was just the youngest son. To on-lookers, he was just a shepherd boy. But to God, he was the one destined to be king. And not just any king. His lineage was the one from whom Jesus would come.

Overlooked by everyone else. Handpicked by God.

Even how he was anointed to be the future king is such a telling story. In 1 Samuel 16, God tells Samuel that He has rejected Saul as king and chosen one of Jesse's sons to be the replacement. Think of the list of qualifications that must have run through Samuel's head as he pondered which of Jesse's sons would be qualified for such a position: tall, smart, articulate, brave, groomed, well mannered, regal, a natural born leader. "But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his outward appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. (meaning Saul who had these qualities.) The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart" (vs 7).

Overlooked by everyone else. Handpicked by God.

Next Samuel has Jesse line all of his sons up before him. All of them were to be looked at. Yet Jesse doesn't call David in from tending sheep. Was this an oversight? An assumption? A judgment call? A necessity? A deliberate choice?

Overlooked by everyone else. Handpicked by God.

Samuel passes on each of Jesse's sons and then asks, "Are these all the sons you have?"

I imagine Jesse with a quizzical expression replying, "There is still the youngest but he is tending sheep." Surely one who spends his time taking care of animals is not the one to take care of a nation.

Overlooked by everyone else. Handpicked by God.

As soon as Samuel saw him, he knew he was the one. David was anointed to become king. But he was not immediately ushered to the throne. It was years before David would be recognized by the world. So, where did he go after being anointed as king? To a refining school? A government academy? Military training? Nope.

He went back out into the fields and continued to shepherd his flock. A king doing lowly tasks. A king whose character was being refined in the fields of everyday life to prepare him for his calling.

How like us. In the midst of smelly laundry, dirty dishes, snotty noses, misplaced keys, overdue library books, bills, and that birthday gift that still needs to be mailed to grandma - there is training there. There is character building. There is attitude shaping. There is soul defining. There is heart grounding. All which must take place for us to become what God intends.
Ever feel overlooked by the world? Take heart sister - we are handpicked by God.

I am not just doing tasks. I am building a legacy. I am shaping God's kingdom. I am in the process of not only discovering my calling but that of my family as well. And I don't know about you, but it sure does make me look at my everyday tasks, even the smelly laundry in a whole different light.

Dear Lord, thank You that even when I feel overlooked, I can rest in the fact that I am handpicked by You. Help me to live my life for an audience of One. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Visit Lysa’s new interactive website full of free resources and encouraging videos. You can get to www.LysaTerKeurst.com by clicking here.

Today’s devotion is taken in part from Lysa’s book and Bible Study, Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl. This is the perfect 6 week summer study or one to consider doing with your women’s group this fall. To order your book, click here, to order your Bible study workbook and DVD study click here and here.

Am I Messing Up My Kids? by Lysa TerKeurst

Application Steps:
Write down in your journal a list of qualities that you sense God is developing in you. Next write down why you think God might find it necessary to develop you in this particular way.

Reflections:
Are there any tasks that you particularly struggle with not wanting to do? Ask God for a new perspective and spend time listening for His voice while you do this job.

Power Verses:
Psalm 28:7a, "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped." (NIV)

2 Samuel 7:22, "How great you are, O Sovereign Lord! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears." (NIV)

© 2010 by Lysa TerKeurst. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,



22 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Oh Ms. Lysa, the Lord used you to speak directly to my heart this morning. Thank you! Looking forward to meeting you in THREE weeks!

Anonymous Gaelen said...

Lysa, thankyou for today I love my father so much and his son. A long time ago I sent a pray for my husband and I and put one everlasting I know now we will Not be together as husband and wife but together for are kids. One of the devotions was about is god enough and he his with a big g I don't know how to put in caps sorry. Lysa I was that girl crying and I'll be ok because god is enough. I love my life that god has gave me have a nice day. Love gaelen

Anonymous Gaelen said...

Lysa, thankyou for today I love my father so much and his son. A long time ago I sent a pray for my husband and I and put one everlasting I know now we will Not be together as husband and wife but together for are kids. One of the devotions was about is god enough and he his with a big g I don't know how to put in caps sorry. Lysa I was that girl crying and I'll be ok because god is enough. I love my life that god has gave me have a nice day. Love gaelen

Anonymous Gaelen said...

Lysa, thankyou for today I love my father so much and his son. A long time ago I sent a pray for my husband and I and put one everlasting I know now we will Not be together as husband and wife but together for are kids. One of the devotions was about is god enough and he his with a big g I don't know how to put in caps sorry. Lysa I was that girl crying and I'll be ok because god is enough. I love my life that god has gave me have a nice day. Love gaelen

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lysa, I sit here in tears overwhelmed at how God cares so much for ME and and the things that concern me! God KNOWS! God HEARS! God CARES! God SEES! God SPEAKS! God LOVES! Me!!!!!!!!!!!!! This devotion touched a place in my heart and settled sooooooooooo many questions I have had and gave me a peace to continue to wait patiently for His direction and guidance. He spoke to me through your words to let me know I'm still in the refining stage! I know beyond the shadow of doubt God has placed a calling on my life but like David, I'm to return to the fields as He continues to build character and reshape me for the SPECIFIC TASK He's preparing me for. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing God to use the gift He gave you to settle my questions!! I, too, look forward to meeting you at the Conference in a few weeks!
Sweet Blessings(I borrowed that from you 'cause I just love it!),
Edie

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lysa, I sit here in tears overwhelmed at how God cares so much for ME and and the things that concern me! God KNOWS! God HEARS! God CARES! God SEES! God SPEAKS! God LOVES! Me!!!!!!!!!!!!! This devotion touched a place in my heart and settled sooooooooooo many questions I have had and gave me a peace to continue to wait patiently for His direction and guidance. He spoke to me through you to let me know I'm still in the refining stage! I know beyond the shadow of doubt God has placed a calling on my life but like David, I'm to return to the fields as He continues to build character and reshape me for the SPECIFIC TASK He's preparing me for. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing God to use the gift He gave you to settle my questions!! I, too, look forward to meeting you at the Conference in a few weeks!
Sweet Blessings(I borrowed that from you 'cause I just love it!),
Edie

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lysa, I just read your devotion today. Last night as I went to bible study, I was feeling guilty about how I have affected my children, and listening to the lies from the enemy. My pastor gave us this message from 1 Samuel 15 and 16 about David and Saul. I wept at the thought that I was believing the lies. This put me directly in line for removing myself from the beliefs that GOD was for me. Through this teaching and this morning your devotion. I have stomped out those lies and have taken on loving my Heavenly Father and letting go and letting him. His love for me if never failing. And he doen't overlook me. Thank you for hearing the father's call to this devotion. I feel it is meant just for me.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God handpicked me, WOW, I hear our pastor say sometimes, I did not pick God, God picked me and I never let it sink in till now. I guess I have been feeling a bit out of sorts this week because of my job. I am only 51 and wish I was retired. I feel like everyone overlooks the things I do in my job. I even had a dream Tuesday nite that I quit my job and they just let me go. I do enjoy what I do, know matter what happens I just have to remember Jesus handpicked me and forget the rest.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love hearing about David. He is my most favorite Bible character. He had that desire, that willing heart to do whatever His God wanted him to do and yet he made bad choices. BUT he was a man after God's own heart. That gives me so much hope and comfort.

O Lord let me live my life for an Audience of One like David did. In the Name of Your Holy Son I pray, Amen.

Blogger Unknown said...

Lysa, thank you for your post today. As a mother of four, I often feel overwhelmed. But now I see God has chosen my Ministry to be as "Mom" to help refine my children and me as well. Next time I want to grumble while picking up dirty socks I'll be sure to remind myself it's my God-given Ministry as a mom and put a smile on my face. Have a blessed day!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this :<) I am getting married in 2 days and even though I'm the bride, I feel very, very overlooked because of everything going on in my life. Thank you for reminding me that I am a handpicked special by God and that what I am to the world doesn't matter as long as I have Him.

Blogger Colleen Reske said...

This was a wonderful post and a blessed reminder that even the menial and repetitive tasks we must do are training for the soul if we let God be in them and let Him do His work. Oh how I have felt overlooked and neglected, except when I am doing my work for God's kingdom. That's the only time I feel fulfilled. Then I come home and it's back to the every day. Now I realize that has a real purpose, too. Thanks, Lysa.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lysa,
Thanks for your devotion today. I needed the confirmation that God doesn't look at the outer appearance, He looks at the heart.
I have started blogging this past month, due to God speaking to my heart. I am not qualified. Until two months ago, I didn't know anyything about blogging. I am trusting God with this, to do with it whatever He wants. I feel that I am called to minister to the "broken-hearted". Blogging is the next step of obedience. One small thing that will lead to the next.

Blogger Helen Martin said...

Sara Groves has a great song and here's what she said about it in an interview:

“Setting Up the Pins” is kind of fun. [...] I wrote when I was washing the dishes. I think that’s also a theme of my life, something I think and meditate on a lot: it’s these small things. Everyone, in their life, is setting up some kind of pins that will be knocked down the next day. Even rich people who pay other people to set up their pins like laundry and stuff like that, they’re setting up other pins that will be knocked down. No one escapes it, and we can either enjoy it or we can always be angry about it. So, it’s kind of like a dish washing song… a bed-making, dinner-cooking song."

It's here (with a video) if you want to see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeMI254kWRw

Blogger Angela said...

Lysa,

This was music to my ears. Oh, how I needed to hear this at this very moment. Thank-you.

Blogger Jessica said...

This was just what I needed today! I am a stay-home mom caring for my 3 teenagers, my youngest who is a medically ill special needs child, my mom with cancer, and my aged grandmother. My friends are going back to college or enrolling in seminary, or they are able to devote much time to ministry or missions. I have been feeling very overlooked. Your post is encouraging to me beyond explanation. I know God has a purpose for me, but I needed the reminder that the annointed King of Israel sat in the fields and tended sheep. Thank you Lysa! And thank you Lord for choosing me!

Anonymous Bebi said...

I really needed to read this. I have been feeling overlooked for a while now. I am so thankful for the reminder that my Father never overlooks me. I have been feeling insecure and that I'm not enough but I keep being reminded of the song "Beautifully & Wonderfully Made". I know my Father loves me and has a purpose in mind for my life. I thank Him for having favor with Him and with man.

Anonymous Brandy said...

Oh wow. I'm sure this one post is going to get lots of comments - because it is one truth that so many of us need to hear. This really brought me to an about-face and taught me to stop getting so upset and angry with my husband and sons that they don't seem to care about how hard I work, both at my job and at home; frustration is a major problem for me, and now I'm understanding that I need to give it all to God and let Him help me. It's easy, so easy, to fall into a trap of anger, especially when I come home from a hard day of working on my feet all day, and having to come home, cook, clean, work on classwork (I'm taking college classes online), as well as work a side business. My perspective gets skewed and that pity-party-pit is so easy to fall in to. I have to let God in and let Him take control. Thank you for the reminder.

Anonymous Crystal said...

Thank you for this devotional!!! I get overlooked by people,but this encouraged me that I'm hanpicked by God and to live for an audience of One!! God Bless You!!!

Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Lysa,

I help lead a MOPS group and this year I'm in charge of writing our newsletter. Would it be ok to print this post? It's distributed to about 160 women each month at no charge. I'd be happy to include a link. This brought tears to my eyes and I know it would really touch the other mamas in my group.

Thanks!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your posting helped me. Today, something happened to me at my job to make me feel terrible, and feel like yet again... God bless you, and this message. Thank you.

Blogger Mike and Debbie said...

I just sit here crying...not even sure what to say except "thank you." This touched me so deeply.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits